Cruz: Veggies for breakfast?!?? Are you sure Mommy?
4 reasons why you should add veggies to your breakfast
1. Daily Fiber Needs
Women should aim for 25g and men 38g a day.
2. Fiber Benefits
• Fiber makes you feel fuller for longer – you will feel more satisfied and less likely to overeat
• Fiber helps regulate blood sugar levels – fiber takes longer to digest so it stabilizes blood sugar levels
• Fiber helps lower risk for disease – linked to lower certain cancers such as colon cancer
• Fiber helps you poop more – less constipation, more bowel movements
• Fiber is food for your gut, promotes the life of healthy bacteria!
• Fiber sources – fruit and veggies, whole wheat, beans, legumes, nuts and seeds
3. Need 2.5-3 cups of veggies a day
The amount of veggies needed depends on your age, sex, and level of physical activity. These amounts below are found on Choose My Plate website.
4. Different colors = different nutrients
Aim for color in every meal, not just breakfast. Any easy way to achieve this is having lots of colorful veggie and fruit options in the fridge.
Veggies for Breakfast
- •Sauteed veggies:
1 tbsp avocado oil
1 garlic clove
1 cup kale
1/4 cup mushrooms
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- •2 turmeric poached eggs:
1 capful of vinegar (any vinegar)
1 tsp turmeric
•2 slices of whole wheat toast
1. Heat 1 tsp avocado oil in medium skillet. Saute onions and garlic for 1 min, add kale and saute for another minute, then add mushrooms, tomatoes and jalapeno. Set aside.
2. In a small pot fill halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 capful of vinegar and 1 tsp of turmeric. Slowly drop in egg and boil for 3-5 minutes (3 minutes for runny yolk).
3. Toast whole wheat bread, add sautéed veggies, microgreens, turmeric poached egg, avocado