- I have never been a fan of tofu, it was bland and the texture was spongy. I never knew how to prepare it or what to do with it. And it just doesn’t look pretty. Am I the only one that feels this way?
But this meal has changed all of that!! The texture was similar to ground turkey/beef, well maybe still a little spongy. Nonetheless, this meal was easy to prepare especially if you have brown rice already made.
This is a great post workout meal because there is a solid amount of healthy carbs and protein or if you want a yummy meatless bowl, which is what hubs has been all about.
Spicy Sofritas Black Bean Bowl
- 1lb super firm tofu, drained & mashed
2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup uncooked brown rice (directions here)
Homemade Salsa (dried chile de arbol, jalapeno, roma tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime, salt)
Optional toppings: avocado, plain greek yogurt, or avocado crema
- 1. Make brown rice (try make this ahead of time, it’s part of bulk meal prepping).
2. In a large bowl mash and break apart the block of tofu (I used a potato masher). Meanwhile, heat large skillet with 1-2 tbsp avocado oil. Once the skillet is hot, saute tofu until golden.
3. Meanwhile, make salsa. In a food processor or blender, blend a handful of dried chile de arbol, 1 jalapeno, 2 roma tomatoes, 1/2 onion, 1 garlic clove, small handful of cilantro, 1 lime, and salt.
3. Drain and rinse black beans, set aside.
5. Once the tofu is sauteed, add the salsa and mix. Then add black beans. Continue cooking for a few minutes.
Serves 6-7 people! Perfect meal for weekly meal prep!!
If you make this meal tag me on ig, snap me, tag me on ig story!! <3 xo