The best post workout smoothie
Believe it or not, carbs are needed more than protein for pre/during/post workout fueling. The reason is because carbohydrates are our body’s preferred source of energy.
The goal is to stock up and restore our glycogen (our body’s storage form of carbs) levels that have been depleted after a workout.
Before and during workout
- • 4:1 ratio carbs to protein
• Before workout: oatmeal with pb & fruit (for longer more intense workout) or toast with banana slices and pb (for a shorter less intense workout)
• During: CLIF bloks or dates (depends on the workout, sometimes I just have water)
- • 3:1 ratio carbs to protein, eaten within 30mins-1hr after workout
- • Quick post workout fuel: this smoothie!!
Post Workout Date Smoothie
3 dates, pitted
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup frozen mango
1 frozen banana
3 tbsp hemp seeds
1. Place all ingredients in blender and blend.
Serves 1 person
More workout nutrition info here.
3 miles at 8:14 pace
10 weeks postpartum
Isn’t she beautiful??