These Chicken Fajita Tacos are to die for. These make a fantastic healthy Mexican meal, and even better with a side of black beans and spanish inspired quinoa.
As a latina, who is trying to be very healthy, it is sometimes difficult to incorporate the foods I grew up on. Which is why I was inspired to make my own healthy version of Fajita Tacos with a few changes. As much as I miss crema and cotija cheese, I have made healthier swaps by using greek yogurt and reduced fat feta cheese. It’s those small tweaks that can make something healthier and not really noticed a change in taste.
1 large chicken breast
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onions, cut into strips
2 bell peppers, cut into strips
1 lemon, juiced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 serrano pepper, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Dash of sea salt
4 corn tortillas
1. Slice chicken breast in half horizontally. This will allow the chicken to cook faster and its the perfect portion for 2 people.
2. Mix all of the marinade ingredients together. Add chicken and marinate for an hour.
3. Grill chicken until internal temp of 165*.
4. Stack the chicken breast on top on one another and wrap into tin foil. This will allow the flavors to mix and will make it so juicy. This is a good rule of thumb for anytime you make chicken.
5. In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add bell peppers and onions. Mix it all together and let it sit for about 2 minutes. Stir and then allow it to continue cooking until you get the desired softness.
6. Chop chicken. Make a taco with tortilla, chicken, fajitas, feta greek yogurt and cilantro.
7. Optional: For a homemade hard shell taco heat oven to 375*. Slightly heat tortilla on stove and then spray both sides with oil. Drape tortilla over two bars on the oven rack. Bake for 8-10 minutes.