I have become obsessed with steel cut oats lately, mainly for the nutty flavor it has. It’s a great breakfast that will leave you completely satisfied.
I love having this breakfast before an intense workout with a side of toast. I always preach this and I probably sound like a broken record, but it’s important to have healthy carbs, fat, and protein in each meal. This breakfast hits all three macronutrients!
3 rules when buying nut butter
Before we get into the recipe, let’s go over some very important things to be aware of when buying nut butters. This includes peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter etc. – and these 3 simple rules will help you choose the best kind!
- 1. Salt Content – This won’t kill you, but if you are conscious about salt intake it’s an easy swap to switch to unsalted. Unsalted nut butters taste very similar to salted, so I promise you aren’t missing out.
2. Roasted vs Raw – when nuts are roasted some of the nutrients are destroyed by heat, opt for raw! Plus it just tastes more real.
3. Ingredient List – the only ingredient you should have in your nut butter is the actual nut!
Nut Butters with Hydrogenated Oil
Hydrogenated oil is used in nut butters to make them creamy and smooth. The most recognized peanut butter with hydrogenated oil is Jiffy.
To keep this part simple, you don’t want hydrogenated oil in your nut butter. The once healthy fats are turned into trans fats, which is something you want to avoid or minimize significantly in your diet.
Banana Nut Steel Cut Oats
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup quick steel cut oats
1 banana, mashed
2 tbsp crunchy almond butter
2 tbsp hemp seeds
1. In a small pot, slowly bring almond milk to a boil.
2. Add steel cut oats to the pot. Lower heat, cover, cook for 5-7 minutes.
3. Mix mashed banana in with cooked oats then pour into serving bowl.
4. Top with almond butter & hemp seeds